May 8, 2009

Another Windows 7 RC Post

I can almost fully endorse Windows 7 Media Center. The beta DivX mkv splitter shows some real promise, and if it can one day support high bitrate h.264 video and subtitles, then I'd give it full 100% approval. If a person really wants a stable, turn key HTPC that supports every media type well, it seems like you still have to stick to Vista, but Windows 7 has UI and feature improvements that are most welcome.

- Movie Library for Extenders
- Shared Recordings
- TV Pack features are stable
- native h.264 and .m2ts support

For me personally, I think I'm willing to live with a few minor mkv issues in exchange for those improvements. If I was building a box for someone else though, I'd push them towards 3rd party codecs and plugins to get most of those features out of Vista. As third party develops work on tools like a Media Foundation mkv splitter though, then Windows 7 Media Center will be complete.

No comments: