April 27, 2009

Windows 7 RC Initial Thoughts

Don't really have much to say on Windows 7 RC1 right now. A few quick notes.

#1 Nifty new Themes
#2 Like new 7MC Splash windows and sounds (sounds are rather TiVOish)
#3 mytv Plugin has a few random startup errors, but works. Check out my WebCollection. Wish it was easier to update. the XML export file does not auto replace it seems.
#4 Codec support

This is the big thing. I used to get around the issue I had with xvid and external subs by renaming some of the default audio codec files. For some reason after reading this tip I used that MCDU app to pick FFDshow audio, but it does seem to give an error with some files when trying to play them. Still Win7 is supost to be able to read natively stopped playing, so I undid it. I might try renamignthe file again and see if that allows softsubs for all xvid videos with external subs.

Also, with my Carnivale S2 x264 encoded files, playback with the default MS h.264 coded have some distortions in the bottom 3rd of the video. I ended up using MPC + FFDShow to watch these files over the weekend. I want to generate screen shots somehow becuase that's a big issue...

More later

No comments: