November 17, 2008

Running Phones?

So as I noted on twitter, I got this new phone. It's decent... but is it better than an iPhone... I feel no, and My reasons are below.

Bottom line, it all comes down to Windows Mobile. After 2 or three selections, eventually you end up in a platform that look uncannily like Windows NT 4.0. Several dialog boxes come up, and they are extremely small. Fairly annoying actually. They are small enough for the phone to include a stylus, like a old palm device. That gives you an idea. I can't use it with fingers alone.

Also, let's be honest, the apps just aren't there, and all the attention is going to Android and the iPhone OS. If you want 3rd party support, looking to Palm, OpenMoko, or WinMo... is just lacking. Even Blackberry is lacking in that regard.

I'm probably going to hate the keyboard, but I'll learn to live with it. Because don't get me wrong, I like the hardware keyboard of the Fuze. I think Sprint's version has a even better keyboard, but hardware is better than not. Also, the 3r party support is decent. It's just that third party apps rarely have the shine that iPhone apps do. And beyond what's currently out, there's more development forthcoming on the iPhone than WinMo. Since I will have this phone for 2 years, I don't want to be stuck with yesterday's apps. Looking for a nice blogging app, I know they are out there, I just want a good one. Also have to download and try a podcatcher app.

Also how the phone switches view modes by using the keyboard as an activator rocks. This is actually common on a slider phone, but when someone nails it perfectly, you have to admit they nailed it.


The Marathon


Glad I finally did it. Finished 1830th overall,with a time of 4 hours, 43 minutes. I fell apart during the second half of the race. My first 13 mile split was under 2 hrs. But I know I can run it, and I know a little bit what to expect. I want to do one in the spring, and then get ready for Richmond again in the fall of next year. I really want to break 4 hours before the end of 2009. I think that is possible. Also I want to run a 40 minute 10K.

Of course, thanks to my brother... all I could think of during the whole race was don't be like this guy. I love my brother.

I tried Mozy for the Mac, and it messed up my OS. Had to use Time Machine to restore my computer from the backup doing some damage to the file system. Thanks. For Nothing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That picture is disgusting and interesting at the same time. It definitely shows a not so common outcome of long distance running. Glad you meditated on keeping your butt muscles tight. :)