November 25, 2008

More Phone Stuff

- I find the GPS on the device practically useless. It takes so long to get in sync with the Sat, you might as well just type in the address manually.

- When the apps start to act up, they don't close gracefully. It seems like the apps create memory leaks that the OS does not recover from. The only way to get it back is a reboot. Feels like you are using Windows 98.

- Windows Live Mobile is fucking awesome. It's actually stable, and one of those uber functional apps. I would actually call it the killer app for Windows Mobile devices. You'll be far less annoyed with using a stylus when that little stick gets you a ton of information you'd have to download a half dozen iPhone apps to get.

If I was a better typer, I'd probably love the iPhone. But a dedicated keyboard is a must have feature for me, and given that need... This phone is fairly solid. Personally I think I'd prefer the X1 keyboard though. I think they nailed the form factor.

2 comments:

WiLLiam said...

GPS taking that long?? Interesting my Moto Q9C only takes less than 5-10 seconds if that for mine to kick in, I may have some settings for you to speed it up.

David said...

HTC put out a new firmware in early '09 to help with this. It had a new driver/firmware for the GPS. Right now I'm running WinMo 6.5 on the device and while I dream of Android 2.0, 6.5 does make WinMo more useable.